Sunday, September 16, 2012

"I'm Shakin'": Issa's Sunday Service, #135


 
 
Click here in case above does not work
 


It's time the Sunday Service rocked out, and who better to turn to on the contemporary rock scene than Jack White to hit the wall?  His new album, Blunderbuss, from which "I'm Shakin'" is taken, fits the bill nicely. The Samson and Delilah reference gets the song on the lit list - booty call makes it rock and roll.

Push the furniture to the walls and roll up the rugs, 'cause it's party time tonight ...


I'm Shakin'

Yeah, when you touch my hand and talk sweet talk
I got a knockin' in my knees, a wobblin' in my walk
And I'm tremblin'
That's right, you got me shakin'

When you take me in your arms and talk romance
My heart starts doing the St. Vitus’ dance
And I'm pantin'
Ohh and I'm shakin'

Early in the morning time
Late in the middle of the night
Whenever this chill comes over me
I wanna hug you with all of my might
That's right and I'm sweatin'
Oh, yeah you got me shakin'
Mmm, you got me sweatin'
Ohh, yeah you got me shakin' girl

A chill and a fever, so I've been told
Makes your head spin around and your feet run cold
I got fever, yeah
Fever, yeah, I burn forsooth

I feel like I've been run right through the mill
And I can't move around and I can't stand still
I'm Bo Diddley
Oh, you got me shakin'
I'm so jittery
That's right, you got me shakin'

Well Samson was a mighty good man
Strongest in his day
(Then along came Delilah and clipped his wig)
And it looks like you took me the same old way
So I'm nervous
Oh and I'm shakin'
Alright, you got me nervous
Yeah I'm shakin' and jumpin'

A storm rocks a ship on a sea (A storm rocks a ship on a sea)
The wind shakes the leaves on a tree (The wind shakes the leaves on a tree)
And I'm a nervous wreck and I'm all shook up
And that's what you're doin' to me right now
And I'm jumpin'
That's right, you got me shakin'
Ohh and I'm jumpin'
That's right, you got me shakin'
Ohh, you got me shakin'
That's right, you got me nervous
But now I'm shakin'
Ohh, you got me shakin'


I went through a spell back in the old days when I used to have regular nightmares about Victor Mature. Go figure. I'll leave it to the Freudians. They all kinda went like this:


Sheesh! Thanks, Jack White. For almost everything.

--------------------------



young buck--
shaking off the butterfly
then back to sleep
Issa
translated by David G. Lanoue





best,
Don 

Send a single haiku for the Wednesday Haiku feature. Here's how.

Go to the LitRock web site for a list of all 135 songs

8 comments:

Ed Baker said...

plus in these lyrics a nod a bow towards Bo Diddley !
My UTE re-visited.. . long about 1956-1959 or so
we used to go down to The Keg on Wisconsin Avenue...
especially when Bo Diddley or The Fat Man were playing.

neat post today:

where IS Bo Diddley now that we need him?

and that girl as Ditty Wah Diitty ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYaWTCY0Tns

same said girl/muse that yet brings chills and fever to This Olde Man ?

30 (by Shantideva)
Even if we know that all is illusion
How will this dispel afflictive passion?
Magicians may indeed themselves desire
The mirage-women they themselves create.

Charles Gramlich said...

I don't hear Jack White on the stations I listen to, which are more classic rock. I'll have to see if I can catch him.

Anonymous said...

Wow, great song. Thanks for that!
- Mark

awyn said...

Midway into the Shakin' video:
Wow.

Envy

He dances on one hand,
feet suspended in air -
my aging limbs ache to join

Thanks, Don. That video's got more
jolt init than my cup of coffee this morning. :)
:)

Issa's Untidy Hut said...

Ed!

Shantideva! and Bo Diddley! The Spirit and the Flesh are one ... if afflictive.

thanks.

Don

Issa's Untidy Hut said...

Charles, Jack White is the classic rock of the moment. Try White Stripes, his original band. Great stuff.

Issa's Untidy Hut said...

awyn:

Shakin', indeed. Glad you liked.

Issa's Untidy Hut said...

Mark:

Cheers!

Don