Sunday, May 1, 2011

Leaky Lifeboat (for Gregory Corso): Issa's Sunday Service, #101








This week was the birthday of the fab Kim Gordon of Sonic Youth and so this week's selection for the Sunday Service comes from Sonic Youth and is entitled Leaky Lifeboat (for Gregory Corso).  Paste Magazine in a review of The Eternal album, from which "Leaky Lifeboat (for Gregory Corso)" comes, says that the song draws inspiration from the deceased New York beat poet and his poem “Leaky Lifeboat Boys,” comparing life on this planet to a vessel with a hole in it."

Here's the original Corso poem, which the song riffs off.

Sonic Youth has been a long time favorite of mine and here's why in a perfect, exhilirating live performance of "Leaky Lifeboat":






And finally, an interesting rendition of Corso's poem "The Whole Mess ... Almost," by someone sounding an awful lot like John Cale.  Enjoy.





--------------------


Prompted by this week's Wednesday Haiku feature on fireflies by Bob Carleton, Tom Clark posted a beautiful response, with amazing photographs and an even more amazing poem by Andrew Marvell.  Kindly, he dedicated it me.

Tom's regular sharing of wisdom, poetics, and wonder at his blog, Beyond the Pale, is one of the finest examples of poetry/poetics on the web.  It is well worth checking out regularly.  Tom is one of the finest poets of his generation and his generosity, wit, and lyricism come through with gentle, assured strength.


-----------------


This week's feature poem comes from Lilliput Review #95, from which 4 poems were featured in a previous post.



Riding the Curved Bowl
We're traveling together so we can't see
we're traveling at the speed of light--
our feet are years from our eyes;
To observers standing in another place,
on fulcra different from ours,
we look like we might be standing still,
when we're leaving before we've arrived.
                        Pendarvis









leaving my shoulder
for the Buddha's...
dragonfly
Issa
translated by David G. Lanoue







best,
Don




Send a single haiku for the Wednesday Haiku feature.  Here's how.

Go to the LitRock web site for a list of all 101 songs

10 comments:

Jim H. said...

Thanks for the Corso reading (although I didn't hear John Cale in it).

Thanks also for the Tom Clark plug. I treasure his short stories.

-- A faithful Sunday Service acolyte.

Issa's Untidy Hut said...

Hey, Jim, thanks, as always. Tom is amazing.

Do you mind the click through to listen to songs? This may have to be the way I go from now on.

Don

Charles Gramlich said...

The video won't run for me this morning. My satellite connection doesn't always do video's well. I'll check it out later.

Jim H. said...

Don:

The widget is nice, but the click-through to Grooveshark is just fine. Better than abandoning the lit rock idea altogether!

I recently tried to add the Grooveshark widget to a Blogspot site and couldn't make it work. I was thinking of turning to you for technical advice...!

Issa's Untidy Hut said...

Thanks for the feedback, Jim. I was hoping it would work. Ed Baker said he got some resolution error, so I'm not sure how it's going to work. I'll keep plugging away at it.

Anonymous said...

this Grooveshark just took over my computer ... luckily
after locking-up my computer for 2 hours my Tech Support guy showed up and got it out of my computer...

GAWD how I LOVE my computer !

bottom line ( he said):

"Grooveshark is a Bull Shit site"

-Kokkie-san

Issa's Untidy Hut said...

Well, Ed, my apologies, I'll have to figure something else out.

Sorry it gave you such a hard time.

Don

ed markowski said...

haiku & senryu for corso


antique maks

i find i've become

a collector's item

********************************

full moon

its light shining

the poet's bald spot

********************************

wedding bells

on the other side of rose street

a cop and a hooker

Issa's Untidy Hut said...

Ed M., thanks very much for the poems -

"maks" - is that a typo or something I'm unaware of. (can't imagine its short for British raincoats - mackintosh)

Like wedding bells particularly.

Don

Issa's Untidy Hut said...

Update:

Ed, the widget is back so the song can be listened to right here on this wonky site.

Sorry again for the trouble.

Don